Monday, October 6, 2008

Some Thoughts on Fear

Debby Morgan is a friend of Mimi's (my wife). Recently, she sent a piece to Mimi that was so impressive, I asked her permission to post it here. She graciously agreed, so here it is.

----

Some Thoughts on Fear
by Debby Morgan

In light of the upcoming election, I think we all need to remember several things. First of all, I do believe it is our responsibility to vote, but we have to leave the outcome in the hands of our Heavenly Father. Many are expressing fear that the wrong person might be elected President. I was one of those. When I realized that I was afraid, I had to ask myself, of what was I afraid?

If we are truly putting our trust in the Lord, then we need not be afraid of anything—fear is a sin and is the opposite of faith.

Sometimes I think we are afraid of the unknown, but the whole aspect of faith involves the unknown--being certain of things not seen, being certain that we have a God in heaven who loves us with a perfect love, and if His love for us is perfect then nothing is to happen that is not part of His plan for our lives. Trusting Him in the unknown, and not being afraid of anything is the essence of true faith.

Is our trust in our government, or in the one and only true God? No matter who wins the election, our God in heaven is still the same yesterday, today and tomorrow—He is never changing, and to me that is awesome!

I do not believe we know what God’s will for this election, yes, it would seem that it is His will that it would be for a man of His principles to be elected; but the times of the greatest oppression have produced some of the greatest revivals in history. We have been spoiled, living in this free nation, and we have taken for granted many things—maybe we will begin to experience really hard times in this United States; but would that be so bad? WE have taken so many things for granted that our nation is turning away from God, doing hideous things and making a mockery of His holy name. Maybe it is time for God to turn His back on us, as we have done Him, in hopes that in desperation, we will cry out to Him and beg for repentance and mercy, of which His supply is vast.

In the book of James we are told to count it all joy when we have trials, joy because we know God will use it to strengthen us and refine us as pure gold. Are we to desire a life of comfort, or a godly life, a life that brings God glory no matter what life’s trials may bring? Can we honestly pray and ask God to work His will in our lives, NO MATTER WHAT may happen?

The Israelites did not know from day to day whether or not God would tell them it was time to take up their tents and move. For those of us, like myself, who like to have our lives all neatly planned out months in advance, the unknown is a scary thing, but maybe it is time for us to live out our faith in a moment by moment dependence on God and knowing that whatever time brings, whatever comes in our life, He will give us the grace and strength to endure. He promises grace for the moment, not for what has not yet happened. That is why we get fearful, because we are looking ahead to unknown circumstances and taking our eyes off the Lord.

Seek ye first the kingdom of God, not seek ye first a Christian government, not seek ye first quality healthcare, not seek ye first our rights, not even seek ye first our 401Ks and retirement plans, but seek ye first God’s Kingdom! And all these things will be added unto you (the necessities of life).

I have to confess that I have not been putting my faith in God first in my life. My faith has been in my comfortable life that I have been living in this United States. You know how I know that? Because the thought of losing these freedoms, the thought of losing the money in our savings account (because of the financial collapse lately) began to cause me anxiety. That is when I had to stop and reflect what really had first place in my heart. It was certainly not God, because if it was, I would be obedient to His word when it says “do not be anxious about anything, but with …prayer and supplication let your requests be made known unto God and the peace of God that passes ALL understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus”. If I have not peace, then God is not first place where He belongs.

Let’s not try to fit God neatly into our lives, and only having faith when things are good; but let’s make God our whole life, bringing Him glory by not having fear in these times, but by having faith, knowing that no matter what happens, our God is still on the throne and our God reigns and one day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!

No comments: