Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Adventures in Atheism, Part 2

Back in July, I wrote a piece called "Jesus and the Professor." I included the text of an entry that Professor Paul Myers, a biologist at the University of Minnesota - Morris in which he stated his desire to blaspheme the Holy Eucharist, using his massive intellectual powers to coin the elegant and original phrase, "It's just a freakin' cracker."

Someone named Aatish found my column, probably from doing an RSS of any mention of Professor Paul Myers, and suggested that until Christians could prove their point from fact and reason, then we needed essentially shut up and put up with whatever stuff good ol' Professor Myers wanted to say.

After thanking Aatish for his comment, I said that I was more than capable of explaining my position from reason.

However, any argument that I could make on this matter pales compared to a wonderful article by Michael Novak that appeared on today's National Review Online.

By the way, Professor and Aatish (whoever you are), I don't care if you consider this smug or condescending. I'll continue to pray for you both every day. In the event that you are right and I am wrong, and there is no God, then I've just wasted my time. But if I am right and you are wrong, you're going to need all the prayers you can get.

Here's the link to Novak's article.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MWJiM2NhNTVhYWU2NDhlYjc4MmM4NDczZjJjYmVjZWY=&w=MA==

No comments: